The main COPFS priorities are to bring criminals to justice, protecting the people of Scotland from further harm from perpetrators of crime while ensuring justice is obtained, leading to safer, healthier and flourishing economic environments for individuals and communities.
- COPFS is Scotland’s sole prosecution service, acting on the authority of the Lord Advocate
- our purpose is to secure justice for the people of Scotland, making it a safer place to live
- we receive initial investigation reports about crimes from the police, and all other reporting agencies in Scotland, and decide, independently and impartially, what action to take in the public interest, including whether to prosecute
- we also enquire into deaths that need further explanation and investigate allegations of criminal conduct against police officers
- in all our decisions we take into account the diverse needs and rights of victims, witnesses, communities and of those accused of crime.